Imagine if....

Earlier this summer as I was trying to make sense of our world in our "Sensory Overloaded House" I came across a website that tried to explain to those of us who's senses seem to work as designed what it was like to have a sensory processing disorder. While this gave me a great way to help my husband understand what is was like for our son, it also gave me an idea to help those of us in this foreign world we call "home" understand Austin, not just "sensory processing disorder". So, I did my own "Imagine If..".. check it out... and this isn't even the complete explanation of Austin's world. I'm still trying to figure that out. I sit here typing this today as my other son, Cooper, stands next to me screaming because Daddy won't let him go outside while he cooks my special dinner (it was a bad weekend for me) ... oh and now we've just peed our pants!  Let the melt down begin..

Anyway.. here's something to think about for today...

Can you imagine if……
You had to purchase 12 different types of pants before your son found 1 pair that didn’t feel like knives on his skinCan you imagine if……
Your child screamed “your killing me” for two hours straight because you wouldn’t let him play outside Can you imagine if……
Each night you had to hold your child to ensure he didn’t hurt himself, you, his brother or the dog for 2 hoursCan you imagine if……
You were never able to step foot into a movie theater with your child because the volume of the big screen was too much for him to handle Can you imagine if……
The slightest change in your schedule, even an alternate route to school due to construction, was like navigating through a strange city in a strange land and no one spoke English to give you directions.
 
I can…
I can imagine what it would feel like to have sand paper for pants
I can imagine what it’s like to have your child think you’re killing him because you have to protect him from harm
I can imagine what it’s like to hold my child for hours while he screams, kicks and calls me stupid while I ensure we’re all physically safe. Emotionally safe, well that’s another story
I can imagine what it’s like to not see a movie on the big screen, we’ve tried, $30.00 and 5 minutes of previews and we were on our way home, only to wait patiently for the DVD.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Working moms and snow days

The power of the Wii

The results are in....